What does the Bible say about Heaven?
- Where is it located?
- What is it like?
- What is in Heaven?
We know it’s not about the old image of just sitting around on a cloud with a harp all day, so follow along with us as we look at Bible facts about Heaven!
1) Heaven is not down here on this earth: [!st Corinthians 1:20] “And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.”
2) Heaven is up: [Psalm 139:8] “If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there…” see also [proverbs 30:4], [Mark 16:19], [Luke 24:51], [Acts 1:1-2], [Acts 1:11] etc..
3) Heaven is due north: [Psalm 48:2] “Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great king.”
[Psalm 75:6-7] “For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another” So God is where the promotion comes from and the only location that is left is north.
4) Heaven is located up in the third Heaven:
[2nd Corinthians 12:2] ” I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such as one caught up to the third heaven.” See also [Isaiah 14:12-15], [Genesis 1:14-18, 20]
5) Heaven is a place prepared for us that are saved by Jesus Christ: [John 14:2-6]
” In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself: that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven, He is the only door, any other way that you try to get to heaven makes you a thief and a robber and you cannot go to Heaven: [John 10:1-11, 27-30]
- God has now revealed to us what He has prepared for the saved in the Bible [1Corinthians 2:9-10] “But as it is written, eye hath now seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him. But God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit; for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
- Heaven is said to be immeasurable. [Jeremiah 31:37] “Thus saith the Lord; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all they have done, saith the Lord.” According to [Romans 11:1-2] God hath not cast away His people, which means “Heaven above” cannot be measured.
- But the new Jerusalem can be measured. [Revelation 21:16] tells us that new Jerusalem is 12000 furlongs on each side. Eight furlongs equals a mile. So new Jerusalem is 1500 miles long and 1500 miles wide and 1500 miles high. Now if you only add up the length and the width, its about 40,144,896,000 square feet. Now if you add the height into the equation, it then adds up to 500 quintillion cubic feet (a quintillion is one with 18 zeros after it). So if you allow 8 billion christians to live in the city (most likely there have not been that many christians in the last two thousand years) each person could have a house of 100,000 cubic feet. NOW THAT IS A MANSION!
- Heaven is Holy [Psalms 20:6] “Now know that the Lord saveth his annointed; He will hear from His holy heaven with the saving strength of His right hand.” [Isaiah 57:15] “ For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place…”
- Heaven is a happy place [Revelation 21:4] “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” Also [Revelation 17:17] [Revelation 7:16] “They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore…”
- Heaven has no night nor darkness [Revelation 22:5] “And there shall be no night there: and they need no candle, neither a light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign forever and ever.”
- New Jerusalem has streets of gold [Revelation 21:21] “…and the street of the city was pure gold, as were transparent glass.”
- Heaven seats the throne of God [Revelation 4:2-11]
- Do you know for sure you’re going to heaven? Heaven is a place of absolute holiness, no sin is present anywhere in heaven. There is no violence in heaven, no swearing, no taking the Lord’s name in vain, no dirty jokes, no killing, and no sinners will be present. [Psalms 24:3-4] “Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands and a pure heart; who hath not lifted his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.” So then the question arises, how can anyone get to Heaven since none of us have a “pure heart” according to [Jeremiah 17:9]? None can go to heaven because of our sins; we have all fallen short of heaven. [Romans 3:23] But according to [2 Corinthians 5:21], if we receive Jesus Christ as our Saviour, He will place all our sins on His cross; past, present and future sins, and give us God’s righteousness. And according to [Romans 5:8-9], we are justified, which means He looks at us just as if we had never sinned. So what that means is that we still commit those sins, but we are never called a liar, or an adulterer, and so on. [1 Corinthians 6:10-11] So the only way to heaven is by accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Saviour. His finished work on the cross is the only way, you have no righteousness of your own, accept Him today before it is too late and you lose your own soul in Hell! [Mark 8:36].