Anyone that has gazed up into the heavens on a star filled night has wondered if we are alone in the universe. Join us as we look to the Bible to find out if ET is out there somewhere.
Website: That's In The Bible?
Join Our Mailing List
Are We Alone in the Universe?
1. Introduction: This question has been on the minds of men for hundreds of years. With the invention of the telescope in 1608, and the invention of the radio telescope in 1931 we were able to get our eyes and ears into the deep parts of space. The bigger and bigger the universe becomes to us, the more speculation arises. Many say with all the trillions of stars and planets, how can we truly be the only life forms out there? The interest in UFO’s and little green men became even more popular on June 24, 1947 when Kenneth Arnold was flying his single-engine plane over the cascade mountains in Western Washington State and saw nine objects flying in single file at an estimated speed of 1600 miles per hour which at that time was three times faster than any known aircraft available. Arnold later stated that these unidentified flying objects “flew like a saucer would if you skipped it accross the water.” This is where the “flying saucers” began to become a popular subject. Then only eight days later on July 2, 1947 the most famous UFO incident occured in Roswell, New Mexico as a supposed crashed saucer with alien bodies was recovered by the United States Military. From then on Hollywood took hold knowing they had a vast audience and started mass producing films depicting aliens from outer space invading earth. So from that time on it has just been believed that these UFO’s and beings must be from outer space. But what does the Bible say about other life forms other than on earth?
2. God Limits Himself: God tells us in [Revelation 19:6] that He is omnipotent, that He is all-powerful and can do anything. So many people bring up the point that for us to say there are no life forms on other planets would be limiting God and putting Him in a box. But to say that God does not limit Himself would be a lie, because God does limit Himself. God puts Himself in a box sort of speak and that box is the Bible, the word of God. God can do anything as long as it does not conflict with His written word. For example since God can do anything then He can lie right? That’s not right, God cannot lie according to [Titus 1:2]. Since God can do anything then He can change correct? Not correct, according to [Malachi 3:6] God does not change because it is recorded in the word of God. So as you can see no one puts God in a box, God puts Himself in a box, the word of God. God’s word will never change [Psalm 119:89] “For ever, O Lord, thy word is settle in heaven.” God has limited Himself to His unchanging word, and will never step outside of it.
3. What is God’s Pattern? Is it in God’s character to populate other planets or would He just pick one planet to populate? The Bible shows us that God has a pattern in the way He does things, lets see what this pattern is: When God created mankind, He did not create groups and pockets of men and women all over the world, but He created only Adam and Eve in one place on earth which is Eden, the whole human race came from one man and that is Adam [Genesis 1:26-28]. When God destroyed the earth with a global flood, only one man was saved with his family and that is Noah. God kills all others that are on this earth that did not believe God who told them there would be a global flood. There was only one way to be saved from this flood, and that was the ark, the one and only place of safety [Genesis 6:17-18]. When God wants to create a great nation for Himself he chooses only one man to do it, with the exclusion of thousands of other people [Genesis 12:1-3]. When God calls out a people, only one nation of people is selected, the Nation of Israel. God did not choose any of the other nations, only one, the Jews. God chose only one piece of land for Himself and His chosen people and that is Israel. He could have chosen to place His people all over the world, on different continents if He wanted to but He only chose one little piece of land which is Israel [Genesis 15:18]. God also has provided only one way to get to Heaven and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus says in [John 14:6] “I am the way the truth and the life, no man commeth unto the father but by me.” Also in [1st Timothy 2:5] the Bible said; “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” There is only one way and one mediator, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. God ignores all the other prophets, and religious teachings and tells us that there is only one way of salvation, all the other religions lead to an eternity in hell if you do not have the one and only Saviour the Lord Jesus Christ. These few examples out of the Bible show us clearly that God discriminates and chooses only one over thousands and even millions of other possible candidates. This is God’s pattern that is layed out in the Bible, and with this pattern we can now apply this to the subject to help answer our question.
4. God Favors planet Earth over all other stars and planets. First we see that Earth was the first planet created by God [Genesis 1:1] says;”In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” God made the earth before He created the sun and moon or any of the stars [Genesis 1:16]. God’s dealings have always taken place here on earth or in Heaven. Second we see that according to the Bible, Earth is the only planet that God named. God never named any of the other planets, man has named all the other planets after false gods. Thirdly we see that Earth was created by God to be inhabited by man. God created it with a breathable atmosphere and just the right temperature so that man wouldnt freeze to death or die of too much heat. [Psalm 115:16] “The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord’s: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.” The fourth point is that God didn’t create the other planets to be inhabited. The sun, moon, and all the stars in the universe were created by God soley for one purpose, and that purpose is not to be inhabited, but to give light on the earth, and for signs, seasons, days, and years [Genesis 1:14-18]. The last point is that the earth is destined to become the home of God’s Kingdom for all eternity [Daniel 2:44], [Revelation 21:1-3]. God, just like we saw his pattern has been, excludes all the other planets, and chooses Earth to be His dwelling place with men.
5. Conclusion: So we see that:
1. God Limits Himself to His written word.
2. God many times chooses only one in exclusion to the vast majority.
3. God Chose Earth over all the other stars and planets.
Again the question is “Are we alone in the Universe?” The answer is: No, we are not alone in the universe. No there are no green aliens from outer space but there are other beings other than us. Underneath our feet right now there are billions of people burning in hell, in the second heaven (outer space) there are a great number of fallen angels that are roaming around (see the episode on “Do angels have wings?”), and the devil that great red dragon is out in outer space (see the episode on “The great deep”), and in the third Heaven is where God dwells, along with the angels and other saved souls that have died. So the question now is asked; Where will you go when you die? Will you go down to hell, or will you go to Heaven? The Bible tells us that we have all sinned and come short of Heaven [Romans 3:23] “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” We have all sinned and we deserve that second death [Romans 6:23] “For the wages of sin is death…” This death is not only our physical death but is also in reference to a second death which is spending an eternity in the lake of fire [Revelation 20:14-15] “And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.” Salvation is not by any good works we could do [Ephesians 2:8-9] “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” My friend if you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Personal Saviour you will spend an eternity in hell being in torments. The Bible says in [John 3:36] “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” To have the Son of God the Lord Jesus Christ as this verse states means that you have to believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for you, was buried, and then rose again the third day and that he bore your sins on that cross [1st Corinthians 15:3-4], [1st Peter 2:24]. And if you call upon God to save you He will [Romans 10:9-13]. You have to believe in your heart that you are a sinner and deserve to go to hell because of your sins, and that God can save you from your sins because of what Jesus Christ did on that cross, and you have to repent of your sins [Luke 13:3] which is to be sorry for your sins and be willing to turn from your sins. The blood of Jesus Christ is the only thing that can cleanse you from all of your sins. If you are reading this and believe this in your heart and do not want to go to hell you can call upon the Lord right now. You can pray something like this: “Lord God, I know I am a sinner and that I deserve hell, I believe you sent your Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for my sins and that He rose again the third day, I repent of my sins and ask you to save my soul from hell and be my personal saviour, thank you for saving my soul, in Jesus Christ’s name I pray, Amen. Now if you prayed this prayer and truly believe it with all your heart then you know you have a home in Heaven! [1st John 5:13] “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”