Have you ever wondered where the Jewish people came from? Does the Bible really say that they are God’s chosen people? What about today though, aren’t Christians today God’s chosen people? What does the Bible say? Join us today as Matthew Sutton missionary to the people of the Arctic presents this study from the Bible.
Why Does God Make Such A Big Deal About The Jews?
1) Who Are The Jews?
- (Genesis 12:1-3) Almost four thousand years ago God made a Covenant (A Promise) to Abraham and to Abraham’s seed after him that He would make of them a great Nation (the Jews) in which all the families of the earth would be blessed by them.
- God warns all Nations in this passage that if you curse Abraham and his seed, then God will curse you! This warning from God does not just apply to Abraham as some would have you believe, but to the whole Nation of Israel: (Numbers 24:2,5,8-9).
- God’s Covenant is with Abraham: (Genesis 17:1-8) And this Covenant not only is a promise that they Abraham and his Seed would be God’s chosen people, but God also promised them that the Land of Israel would be theirs forever.
- God’s Covenant passed on to Abraham’s son Isaac: (Genesis 17:18-22) The covenant did not go to Abraham’s other son Ishmael from which all the Arab people come from today.
- God’s Covenant was then passed down to Isaac’s son Jacob: (Genesis 35:9-12) It did no pass on to Jacob’s son Esau. - God’s Covenant then passed down to Jacob’s twelve sons: (1st Chronicles 2:1-2)
2) God Chose The Nation of Israel Over Every Other Nation in the World:
- (Deuteronomy 6:1-4), (7:6-8)
- (Deuteronomy 10:12, 15-16)
The Jews were still chosen by God above all other Nations even though God says here that they are “stiffnecked”. So Israel as a people were not chosen because they were always obedient to God nor because they always listened to God. It was just because God loved Abraham and his children. It’s important to see this and understand that God promised Abraham and his seed that they would be God’s chosen people and would receive the promised land whether they were obedient to God or not (stiffnecked). God’s promise to the Jews was never conditional on whether or not they would obey Him, it was an unconditional promise.
3) God Promised that His Covenant with the Nation of Israel would be an “Everlasting Covenant”:
- (Genesis 17:7,19) “ And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.  And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.”
- (1 st Chronicles 16:13-18) "O ye seed of Israel his servant, ye children of Jacob, his chosen ones.  He is the LORD our God; his judgments are in all the earth.  Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations;  Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac;  And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant,  Saying, Unto thee will I give the land of Canaan, the lot of your inheritance;”
- (Psalm 105:7-11) “He is the LORD our God: his judgments are in all the earth.  He hath remembered his covenant for ever, the word which he commanded to a thousand generations.  Which covenant he made with Abraham, and his oath unto Isaac;  And confirmed the same unto Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant:  Saying, Unto thee will I give the land of Canaan, the lot of your inheritance:”
4) Never Forget that God said He Cannot Lie: If God promised to the Nation of Israel that the Covenant He made with them to be His Chosen People and Promised the Land of Israel would be a Covenant that would be “Everlasting”, then we better believe God’s word on it!
- (Titus 1:2)
- (Numbers 23:19)
- There are those today that are teaching that the Church (The Body of Christ/Everyone that has been born again) have now taken the place of the physical Jews wit regards to the Covenant. But we will see that this cannot be the case because God does not lie in regards to what He has said and promised to the Physical Jews:
5) God Tells us that the Church (The Body of Christ) Does Not take the place of the Jews Today:
- (Romans 10:1-4)
- We Are told that God has not cast away His People (The Jews): (Romans 11:1-2) “I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.  God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel,”
- God Says that the Jews will one day again be Full: (Romans 11:8-13) “(According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.  And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:  Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.  I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.  Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?  For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:”
- God Tells us that right now the Jews are Blinded, but one day in the future all Israel will be Saved:
- (Romans 11:24-31) “For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?  For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.  And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:  For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.  As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.  For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.  For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:  Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.”
- When we get Saved we get in on the spiritual promise of eternal life (Abraham’s Seed), but we do not physically take the place of the physical Jews:
- (Galatians 3:26-29) “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.  For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.  There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.  And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.” – As you can see when we get saved there is no difference between male and female in regards to spiritually being in Christ, but there is definitely still a difference physically between male and females! Just as there is still a difference between Jew and Greek physically!
- (1st Corinthians 10:32) “Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:” – God still makes a difference today between the Physical “Jews” and “the Church of God” (The Body of Christ). Which again shows that the church does not take the place of the Jews!
6) Some will try and Argue that the Jews that are in Israel right now don’t believe in God so they say they cannot be God’s Chosen People, But God says they are not going to believe in God yet!
- We have already seen this in Romans Chapter 11 under Point 5 in this study.
- (Ezekiel 36:24-25) “For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.  Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.” – God tells us here that God will gather the Jews out of ALL COUNTRIES, this did not happen in 721 B.C. and 606 B.C. when Judah and Israel were carried captive by Assyria and Babylon. We know this passage is not in reference to that captivity because they only went to two countries, while this passage states God will bring them out of “ALL COUNTRIES”, which would be countries all over the world, which happened in 1948 when Israel became a Country once again. So this shows us that God will bring the Jews to their land unconverted, and then in the future He will cleanse them. So the fact that they don’t believe in God right now in their own land proves the fact that God will once again deal with the Nation of Israel again in their own land! ▪ This is also found in: (Ezekiel 20:32-37), (Ezekiel 22:15-22)
- That’s why the Tribulation is specifically called in (Jeremiah 30:7) “the time of Jacob’s trouble” because it is primarily used by God after the Church (The Body of Christ) has been raptured out of here, to melt the Jew’s heart to prepare them to finally accept Jesus as their Messiah. They will then finally call upon Jesus after all that they will have been through in the Tribulation: (Zechariah 13:8-9), (Zechariah 12:9-10).
7) There Are No “Lost Tribes” of Israel: - There are some that believe that after the Assyrian captivity in 721 B.C. that the 10 Northern Tribes became lost and have become the English Speaking people that have come from England. BUT there are not any lost Northern Tribes according to God:
▪ (Luke 2:36) Here is Anna from the tribe of Aser (Asher) which is one of the Northern Tribes, so Asher is not a “lost tribe” after the Assyrian captivity!
▪ (Mark 14:70) Also Peter was from Galilee which is a territory of the Tribe of Nephtali, and Naphtali is one of the Northern Tribes, and Peter was still called a Jew! (Galatians 2:14). So once again there are no “lost tribes” according to God.
▪ (Revelation 7:4-8) In the Tribulation, which is still to take place in the future, God tells us that twelve thousand Jews from each of the Twelve Tribes of Israel will be sealed in their foreheads. And God lists off the Twelve Tribes of Israel, so there are no “lost tribes” of Israel.